1. Set aside time to read with your child every day. Spend time reading together just before bed and take turns reading out loud with younger children.
2. Make reading a daily part of life; including reading road signs, recipes and directions, etc. out loud. Congratulate them on their progress as frequently as possible.
3. Make reading interactive. Ask your children’s opinions on what they are reading.
4. Pay attention to what your child is interested in, and encourage him or her to read books on those subjects.
5. Lead by example! Seeing you read will encourage your child to do the same!