• Local food supports the local economy. The money that is spent with local farmers and growers all stays close to home and is reinvested with businesses and services in your community.
• Local food benefits the environment. By purchasing locally grown foods you help maintain farmland and green and/or open space in your community. Who wouldn’t rather see rolling hills of crops over rows and rows of more homes and more population?!
• Local growers can tell you how the food was grown. You can ask what practices they use to raise and harvest the crops. You can be more confident in the foods you eat when you know where your food comes from and who grew it.
• Locally grown food is full of flavor. When grown locally, the crops are picked at their peak of ripeness versus being harvested early in order to be shipped and distributed to the local grocery store. Many times produce at local markets has been picked within 24 hours of purchase.
Below is a list of some places where you can either purchase or pick some fresh Loudoun County Produce. Here’s to healthy eating!
• Leesburg Saturday Market:
• Great Country Farms:
• Brossman’s Farm: