- Go Camping: Make it a trip or stay in your own backyard.
- Visit your local library: Check out books, listen to story time, see if there’s a summer reading club you can participate in.
- Play at a park: HOURS of free entertainment, take a picnic!
- Visit a Rec Center: Check out Ida Lee’s website, they offer classes (http://www.leesburgva.gov/government/departments/parks-recreation)
- Bake something together: Cookies, cake, pie, endless options!
- Create your own sock puppets & put on a puppet show: Be creative and use yarn, buttons, markers, puff paints, etc.
- Go on a bike ride: We have a fabulous trail right here in Loudoun County, The W&OD.
- Have a Family Game Night: Clue, Sorry, UNO, Operation, so many to choose from!
- Make Homemade Pizza Together: Your own sauce, dough from scratch, your most favorite toppings!
- Backyard Olympics: Set up an obstacle course in your own backyard, even reward with inexpensive prizes from the dollar store.
- Make your own Play Dough: Here’s a quick link to a simple recipe: http://www.pbs.org/parents/crafts-for-kids/no-bake-play-dough/
- Track Down the Ice Cream Man: Keep your ears open to hear the sounds of the Ice Cream Truck and enjoy a cool treat!
- Go to a Lake: Cunningham Falls is relatively close and offers hiking, fishing, camping, swimming, and much more: http://dnr2.maryland.gov/publiclands/Pages/western/cunningham.aspx
- Attend a Free Craft Clinic: Hobby Lobby, JoAnns, and Home Depot offer classes to children. They may include building bird houses, derby cars, sewing projects, etc.
The last bells for the 2015-2016 school year are about to be rung. So now what? It’s important to keep your children entertained and engaged all summer long so they don’t slip into the dreadful “summertime blues.” Here is a list of activities you can do with one child, or an entire family that won’t break the bank either. Enjoy your summer, and stay cool!
Monthly informative blog from Courtney Oliver, our Curriculum Coordinator