Our children had a great week last week exploring their five senses. We also extend a "thank you" for your patience to all the parents and students that were affected last week due to the repair work going on in the Koalas class.
The first day of Autumn is tomorrow, Monday, September 22nd and note that the cooler temperatures are starting to show up. Please make sure your child dresses appropriately, such as a light jacket or sweater for going outside.
This week our theme will be Apples, so expect to see many activities involving apples in your child's classroom, and next week we will feature Healthy Living. This newsletter will cover both weeks as I am presently away from LOA visiting my family in the UK. I will be back on October 1st.
Our Chapel lesson this week will be from the book "The Oak Inside the Acorn" by Max Lucado. It is the story of the miracle inside each of us - For within every child is the special person God created, just waiting to grow. We will also feature "Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings" from Psalm 17:8.
Next week we will read the book "The Prayer That Makes God Smile" by Stormie Omartian. This life-changing book about God's everlasting love and the power of prayer reassures children that their prayers are meaningful to God and that He always listens to them. "The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on Him in truth" from Psalm 145:18 is also covered.
LifeTouch School Pictures will be at LOA on Tuesday and Wednesday, September 23rd and 24th. The photographers are scheduled to take pictures at 8:30 AM. Sibling pictures will be taken on the scheduled day of the youngest sibling. Retakes can be done on Wednesday, if neccessary. Here is a link to some suggestions on what your child could wear: LifeTouch "What To Wear" Suggestions.
Below is the schedule for each of the classes:
Tuesday, September 23rd
- Lambs/Butterflies - 8:30 AM
- Koalas - 9:00 AM
- Hippos - 9:45 AM
- Monkeys - 10:15 AM
- Sea Turtles - 10:45 AM
- Jellyfish - 11:15
Wednesday, September 24th
- Toucans - 8:30 AM
- Manatees - 9:15 AM
- Seagulls - 9:45 AM
- Dolphins - 10:15 AM
- Sea Stars - 11:00 AM
- Owls - 12:00 Noon
For teachers, please have your new badge picture taken when your class is in for pictures. Also, have all paperwork filled out before you come to the Sanctuary for your pictures; the more prepared we are the faster we can get through the photo sittings.
LOA is collection pasta for Porch Pals for the month of September.
The Electronic Tuition Payment program will go into effect on September 29th. Cash or credit payments will still be required for the next two weeks. Thank you to those of you who have submitted your paperwork for this. From this point forward it will take us two weeks from the time you hand in your paperwork to when the electronic payment will be implemented. If anyone has any questions please contact Ms Susan via our general phone 571-223-6736 .
LOA events for September and October:
- Excite Soccer had a demonstration session this past week on Friday, September 19th but the first session will now be on Friday, September 26th.
- Loudoun County Public Schools (LCPS) will be closed for Columbus Day on Monday, October 13th. LOA will remain open so please let us know if your child will be attending LOA that day.
- Spirit Night at Chick-fil-A with be on October 15th.
- We will have Pink Day on Friday, October 17th, in recognition of Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
- On October 18th we will hold our third annual Fall Festival from 10:00 to 2:00 PM and Glow Night from 6:00 to 8:00 PM.
- We will have Black Day
- on Thursday, October 30th and on Friday the 31st we will have our Fall Costume Parade and Parties; times will be communicated later.
Our October author is Karma Wilson. We know her from her book "Bear's New Friend". She loves to write fun stories, poems, songs, etc... She especially loves to write in rhyme because she believes that well written rhyme naturally teaches children to expand their vocabulary and love books and reading.
We are looking for baskets to be used for our raffle baskets for our Fall Festival. If you have any baskets you would like to donate, please let us know. We will start collecting items for our raffle baskets very soon.
We will be conducting a survey regarding our camera surveillance system. We will send this out in early October. If anybody knows of any companies that offer childcare camera system support please let us know.
New staff and schedule changes. I would like to welcome the following new staff members to LOA:
- Ms Joyce has joined us as a PM Floater.
- Ms Brenda will be an AM Floater starting this week.
- Ms Erica will start this week as our 3rd Bus Driver and also as Floater.
- A "welcome back" to Ms Priscilla; she will be the 3rd Teacher (2nd Assistant) in the Hippos.
- Ms Carol will be the 3rd Teacher(2nd Assistant) in the Monkeys.
- Ms Maddie will be the 2nd Teacher in the Lambs.
- Ms Bonnie will be a Floater between the Infant rooms.
- Ms Kathy Rich (Accounts Receivable) will be on a slightly reduced work week (Monday - Thursday).
The average apple is portable, tasty, has about 65 calories and 3 grams of fiber, and offers lots of vitamin C and some other antioxidants. Apples contain pectin, a water-soluble fiber that is known to help lower cholesterol and balance blood sugar. When our grandmothers said that an apple a day kept the doctor away, they might have been on to something.
"Surely the apple is the noblest of fruits." - Henry David Thoreau
"Anyone can count the seeds in an apple, but only God can count the number of apples in a seed." - Robert H. Schulle