I also want to thank everybody who stopped by to see us at the Leesburg Flower and Garden Show on Saturday. We had a fine day with a lot of visitors to our table. Thanks to all of our staff and Admin folks who came by to help out with our activities.
Last week we did a lot of Recycling. The children had a lot of fun making their own creations out of recycled objects. Some of the classroom creations will be on display at the LOA Art Show on May 16th.
The children enjoyed Uncle Henry's nature show. He spoke about habitats, adaptations and hibernations and he had turtles, roaches, a bearded dragon, a snake and some cute ducklings. We always enjoy his educational shows.
Our theme for this week is "Bugs". The classrooms will be doing activities related to different insects. We will be featuring books from Eric Carle, such as "The Hungry Caterpillar". We are anxiously awaiting the delivery of our Painted Lady caterpillars.
Our Christian theme for this week ties in with our "bug" theme where we feature the book "Far Flutterby" by Karen Kingsbury. The story is about a humble caterpillar. His struggles eventually deliver him to a place where "life is a daydream that never grows old". It encourages us to have faith and that God has a wondrous plan for us and for all creatures alike.
Our Bible verse is 2 Corinthians 5:17, "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away, behold, the new has come."
We had a very good turnout for the one-day Junior Lego Tech class last Friday. If anyone is interested in signing up your child for the remaining 11 classes the cost will be $220 and it will run until July 25th (no classes on June 13th or July 4th).
Dates to remember for May - June:
- Teacher Appreciation Week will be May 5-9. We will send out a separate communication regarding the activities for this at the end of this week.
- We will have Peter McCory, the One Man Band entertainment for children, will visit us again on May 6th.
- Muffins with Mom will be at 3:00 pm on May 12th.
- The LOA Art Show will be on May 16th. We are still collecting donations for the silent auction; please let us know if you wish to donate. Flyers and donation forms are now available at the front desk.
- Pink Day will be on May 16th.
- May 17th will be our next Parent's Night Out from 4:00 to 8:30 pm.
- LOA and LCPS will be closed on Memorial Day, May 26th.
- The Relay for Life for Team LOA will be on May 31st.
- Donuts for Dad will be on Friday, June 6th.
Graduation dates for our Pre-K and Full-Kindergarten students will be in June. The schedule is as follows:
- Owls (Full-K): Friday, June 6th at 3:00 pm.
- Dolphins (Pre-K): Tuesday, June 10th at 3:00 pm.
- Seagulls (Pre-K): Wednesday, June 11th at 3:00 pm.
- Sea Stars (Pre-K): Thursday, June 12th at 3:00 pm.
Our LOA Summer Kick-off Party will be Friday, June 13th at 4:00 pm, the last day for LCPS.
Details for LOA Summer Camp for rising 1st Graders through 5th Grade are now on our website. The theme this year is "SONsational" Summer of Discovery. Here is a link to the information:
LOA "SONsational" Summer Camp, 2014
- Due to health reasons Ms Brittny, from the Seagulls class, has left LOA. In the interim we will have a substitute supporting Ms Carmen.
- Due to personal reasons, Ms Tiffany, from the Sea Stars class, has also left LOA.
An important health reminder: We have a number of children who have severe food allergies. Once again, we ask that you refrain from having your child bring in any food from the outside. In particular we have concerns with the early morning hours before breakfast. Please see me if you have any questions regarding this.
An important safety reminder: Please make sure your child has closed-toed shoes at school for use at playground times. Sandals and flip-flops are unsafe.
Thank you for your cooperation on these matters.
"All things bright and beautiful,
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful,
The Lord God made them all."
from a poem by Cecil Frances Alexander