I want to start off by thanking all the children who sang in the Leesburg Children's Christmas Choir on Friday, December 6th, as well as their parents, at the Lighting of the Leesburg Christmas Tree at the Leesburg Government Center. The children sang so beautifully that Mayor Umstattd remarked that they made the evening celebration and will be welcome back next year and to any other events here in Leesburg. A big "Thank You" to Ms Wendy for all her hard work in getting the children ready for the event.
The children also had a great time last Friday with the musical show "Cody and BJ". They got the children involved with playing musical instruments and singing. We look forward to bringing them back next year. We will post pictures at LOA this week.
Our theme for this week is Christmas Around the World. This is our annual event where the children will be "travelling" from country to country, including Austria, Brazil, China, France, Germany, Ireland, Mexico, Poland and Russia learning about Christmas traditions in those countries. The "tours" will be on Tuesday and Wednesday, December 10th and 11th. Check out the Christmas tree in our lobby for all the international ornaments that the children have been making.
Our Christian theme for this week is from Philippians 4:1 - "Rejoice in the Lord always, I will say it again: Rejoice!". We will also feature the book "Every Child Everywhere" by Debbie Anderson. This book is a fun, colorful tool for teaching young children about God's creativity and his love for all children, near and far. It will touch young hearts with Christ's compassion and help children connect to children of other cultures.
Our December donation drive is ongoing; it is supporting "Toys For Tots". Please bring in an unwrapped gift for a needy child for this Holiday Season; place gifts in the large red stocking in the Front Lobby.
Dates to remember for December:
- We will have Parents Night Out on Friday, December 13th from 6:30 to 9:00 PM.
- Saturday, December 14th is the Leesburg Holiday Parade; we will have a sign-up sheet at the Front Desk for anyone who wants to join us in the parade.
- "Piano 4 Kids" will be coming in to LOA on Monday, December 16th, to from 3:30 to 6:00 PM to demonstrate their approach to music education and to answer any questions you may have.
- LOA will be closed on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, Tuesday and Wednesday, December 24th and 25th.
- LOA will close at 2:00 PM on New Year's Eve, Tuesday, December 31st and we will be closed on New Year's Day, January 1st.
Mark your calendars accordingly for the Children's Christmas Concerts starting on December 17th through the 20th. Here is the schedule:
- 12/17: Toucans at 3:00 PM in their classroom
- 12/17: Monkeys at 3:30 PM in their classroom
- 12/18: Jellyfish, Manatees and Sea Turtles at 3:30 PM in the Sanctuary
- 12/19: Sea Stars and Seagulls at 3:30 PM in the Sanctuary
- 12/20: Dolphins and Seahorses (AM Kindergarten Enrichment class) at 9:30 AM in the Sanctuary
- 12/20: Wise Owls (Full Kindergarten) and Seahorses (PM Kindergarten Enrichment class) at 2:30 PM in the Sanctuary.
Lastly, "Leesburg Today" has voting for the "Best of Loudoun 2013". Leesburg Open Arms is one of the schools up for voting in the Childcare/Education/Preschool category. Please help us make LOA the #1 Best of Loudoun by voting for us. You can vote at the following link:
The deadline is December 31st, 2013. Thank you for considering us in this category.
Ms. EllenCenter Director