I want to start off by thanking all the children who sang so beautifully at the Leesburg Children's Christmas Choir on Friday, December 5th, at the Lighting of the Leesburg Christmas Tree at the Government Center. A thank you to all the parents who were there. Mayor Umstattd really enjoyed the children's participation again this year. It was a memorable event despite the rainy weather we had. A big "Thank You" to Ms Wendy for all her hard work in getting the children ready for the event.
Our theme for this week is Christmas Around the World. This is our annual event where the Preschool and Full Kindergarten children will be "travelling" from country to country, including Canada, France, Germany, England, Mexico, Italy and Japan learning about Christmas traditions in those countries. The "tours" will be on Thursday and Friday, December 11th and 12th.
Check out the Christmas tree in our lobby for all the ornaments that the children have been making. Every classroom will be recognizing Christmas Around the World but the 2 year olds and younger will not be "travelling"; the countries they will be featuring include the United States (including one class on Alaska), France, Australia and Brazil. Please let your child's teacher know if you would like to come in to help between 9 and 11 AM.
We will continue the month of December talking about and celebrating the birth of Jesus.
LOA events for December and early January:
- We will be offering a Parents Day Out on Saturday, December 13th from 11:00 to 4:00. This is a great opportunity to do some Christmas shopping without your children.
- Come join us for the annual Leesburg Christmas Parade; this is also on December 13th and we will be at LOA at 4 PM to decorate our bus; we will then go to Ida Lee by 5:15 and the parade starts at 6 PM. Sign up sheet is by the checking-in kiosk near the Front Desk. We look forward to sharing this great experience with you.
- The Christmas Music Programs for our 2-year-olds through Kindergarten will be at LOA on December 15th through 18th. More details are below.
- Our Happy Birthday Jesus Parties will be on Friday, December 19th. Teachers are requesting donations for decorations for the cakes. Please check with your child's teacher for details.
- For the Christmas holidays at LOA we will be closing at 12 Noon on Christmas Eve, Wednesday, December 24th and we are closed on Christmas Day and the day after (Boxing Day), Thursday and Friday, December 25th and 26th.
- LOA will close at 2:30 PM on New Year's Eve, December 31st and we are closed on New Year's Day, January 1st. We will be open on Friday, January 2nd.
- On January 15, Lego Robotics will be back at LOA to do a demonstration from 3:00 to 6:00 PM.
Here is the schedule for the Children's Christmas Music Program starting on December 15th through the 18th:
- 12/15: Monkeys at 3:00 PM in their classroom
- 12/15: Toucans at 3:30 PM in their classroom
- 12/16: Jellyfish, Manatees and Sea Turtles at 3:00 PM in the Sanctuary
- 12/17: Dolphins and Seagulls at 3:00 PM in the Sanctuary
- 12/18: Owls and AM Enrichment Kindergarten Seahorses at 9:30 AM in the Sanctuary
- 12/18: Sea Stars and PM Kindergarten Enrichment Seahorses at 2:30 PM in the Sanctuary.
For the 2's and 3's please dress your children in something festive and comfortable. For the 4's and Kindergarten please dress in something comfortable that can be worn under a costume; colors can be determined based on costume selection. Please check with your child's teacher.
For this month we are joining with the Scholastic Reading Club and their Pajama Program in giving brand-new pajamas to children living in homeless shelters. For every pair of new pajamas that LOA collects, Scholastic will donate a brand-new book to help these children have a reassuring and cozy bedtime. If you wish to help out, please bring your brand-new pajamas to LOA by this Wednesday, December 10th. Thank you again for your support.
If any of you wish to show your appreciation to your child's teacher for this Christmas period all teachers have filled out a survey on what their "likes" are (such as favorite color, restaurant, type of music,etc.). All surveys are at the Front Desk.
- Ms Gaby from the Koalas class is taking early maternity leave due to health reasons. We wish her a safe continued pregnancy; her baby is due in January.
Christmas Cookie Recipes: We are looking for your favorite Christmas cookie recipes. Please drop off your recipes at the Front Desk. Let's see how many different cookie recipes we can collect. Thank you for your participation.
Just in time for the holidays, the Heritage High School Musical Theatre Class is presenting Annie the Musical. Open Arms' very own Brennan deButts (Wise Owls class) will be playing "Sandy the Dog". It's a family friendly, inexpensive holiday treat and you're invited!! The performances are on Friday December at 7 pm and Saturday December 13th at 2 pm.
Lastly, "Leesburg Today" has voting for the "Best of Loudoun 2014". Leesburg Open Arms is one of the schools up for voting in the Childcare/Education/Preschool category and Summer Camp category. Please help keep LOA the #1 Best of Loudoun by voting for us. You can vote at the following link: Best of Loudoun 2014 - Childcare Education. The deadline is December 31st, 2014. Thank you for considering us in these categories.
For more information on Christmas Around the World here is a link: WhyChristmas.com to a website where you can find out find out why we have Christmas Trees, send Christmas Cards and what Santa's first name was! See how Christmas is celebrated in many countries around the world. Read the Christmas Story or watch an animated version of it!