Once again we had a good week with our Summer Camp. The campers went to Frederick and did pottery decoration at "I Made This Pottery" and the Dolphins class visited the Catoctin Zoo in Thurmont. With our Art Explosion week last week all the children enjoyed all the different mediums of art we experienced at LOA. The Seagulls class had a local artist teach them painting techniques and they created a beautiful picture of the lake at Olde Izaac Walton Park. This will be proudly displayed in the Front Lobby.
A Big "Thank-you" to our special visitors this week, Chris Haag and his son Zachary (Joshua Haag's Dad and older brother), who came in on Thursday to show us their model train collection. The Summer Camp and Pre-K children had a wonderful time with the hands-on experience of running the trains on the various tracks. We held a couple of raffles for train sets and the winners were James Titus and Josh Taylor. For your interest, one the largest model train displays in the World is located at the Roads & Rails Museum in Frederick, MD. Check it out at (www.roadsNrails.com).
Our theme this week is "God Bless the USA". The children will be learning patriotic songs and listening to similar themed stories. Look out for a lot of red, white and blue and American flags during the week. Don't forget to dress your child in red, white and blue on Thursday, July 3rd.
Our Summer Chapel lesson this week from the book "Stepping Stones of Faith" by Anita Edlund will be "God Understands My Feelings". "Our Lord is great and powerful! He understands everything." Psalm 147:5 CEV.
As a reminder, we will also be having other fun activities later in the Summer as listed below:
- In July we have Eric Energy on Friday, July 11th, as part of our Backyards Science week.
- We will have Cody & BJ on July 24th part of our Splish, Splash Faith Blast week.
- For August we will have Reptiles Alive on Thursday, August 7th, during our Camp out with God! Week.
- We will also have Blue Sky Puppets on Thursday the 21st during Find Your Strength with God week.
A Big "Thank-you" to everybody who has contributed to helping Ms Melinda with the Source of Life orphanage.
Dates to remember for July:
- The Curiosity Crew from the Curiosity Zone will be visiting LOA this week on either Wednesday or Thursday, July 2nd or 3rd. They will be combining music with a science theme.
- LOA will be closed on Friday, July 4th.
Excite Soccer will be offering 5 to 7 classes over the Summer. They will start on Friday, July 11th. Sign up sheets are available at the Front Desk.
LOA T-shirts: This year our shirts will be light blue. If you are interested in ordering a Onesie (6-24 months) for $10, T-shirt (2T-4T) for $12 or Youth size (XS-XL) for $15 please stop by the Front Desk to place your order.
LOA Magnets for your car or refrigerator are available at the Front Desk for $3 or two for $5. Check them out.
Safety Reminder: Please be careful in the parking lot. We have added signs and "safety men" to remind drivers to proceed slowly around the Center. Thank you.
I would like to wish everybody a Happy Independence Day! This Fourth of July, we might find ourselves barbecuing, congregating with loved ones and enjoying our precious free time. But July 4th is also a time to step back, take stock and appreciate the deep freedoms we enjoy every day.
- "The greatest gifts you can give your children are the roots of responsibility and the wings of independence."