I did not send out a newsletter last week and so I will cover both weeks with my Thanksgiving blessings to you all. I want to thank all families for your support and contributions and donations to Leesburg Open Arms over the year. Our theme for last week was "Families" - we really are one big family here at LOA.
This week our theme is "Pilgrims" and the children will be learning about how the pilgrims came to the United States and how they made friends with the Native American Indians and how the first Thanksgiving came about.
Our food drive for the Loudoun Interfaith Relief Food Bank collected 110 pounds of food. Thank you all very
Our Scholastic Book Fair ran from November 11-15. We had a very successful Fair at LOA. However, you can still purchase books online through this Tuesday, November 26th. Here is the on line link:
We are considering another extracurricular activity at LOA - helping children to learn how to play the piano. "Piano Keys for Kids" will be coming in to LOA on December 5th. This is for 3 year olds and above. They will be in the Front Lobby from 3:30 to 6:00 PM to demonstrate their approach to music education and to answer any questions you may have.
Dates to remember for November and early December:
- Monday/Tuesday, November 25th and 26th, will be our Thanksgiving Feast Days with the children.
- LOA will be closed on Thanksgiving and the day after, November 28th/29th.
- Friday, December 6th "Cody and BJ" will be coming to LOA to perform a musical show for the students.
- Also on Friday, December 6th, at 5:45 PM the Leesburg Children's Christmas Choir, sponsored by LOA, will be participating in the Lighting of the Leesburg Christmas Tree at the Leesburg Government Center.
- We will have two Parents Night Out sessions in December; one is on Saturday, December 7th from 4:00 to 8:30 PM; the second is on Friday, December 13th from 6:30 to 9:00 PM.
- Christmas Around the World will be on December 10th and 11th at LOA. Teachers are looking for parents to volunteer to help the students travel from country to country.
- Saturday, December 14th is the Leesburg Holiday Parade; we will have a sign-up sheet at the Front Desk for anyone who wants to join us in the parade.
Mark your calendars accordingly for the Children's Christmas Concerts starting on December 17th through the 20th. Here is the schedule:
- 12/17: Toucans at 3:00 PM in their classroom
- 12/17: Monkeys at 3:30 PM in their classroom
- 12/18: Jellyfish, Manatees and Sea Turtles at 3:30 PM in the Sanctuary
- 12/19: Sea Stars and Seagulls at 3:30 PM in the Sanctuary
- 12/20: Dolphins and Seahorses (AM Kindergarten Enrichment class) at 9:30 AM in the Sanctuary
- 12/20: Wise Owls (Full Kindergarten) and Seahorses (PM Kindergarten Enrichment class) at 2:30 PM in the Sanctuary.
A reminder to all parents: if you have any changes to your personal information (address, cell phone numbers, etc.) since you registered with LOA please let us know.
If any of you wish to show your appreciation to your child's teacher for this Christmas period all teachers have filled out a survey on what their "likes" are (such as favorite color, restaurant, type of music, etc.). All surveys are at the Front Desk.
- Mr. Jack, Assistant in PM Kindergarten Enrichment, and Ms Cheyenne, Floater Teacher, have left LOA due to personal reasons.
- Ms Cara has returned to us on a part-time basis as a Floater; we are happy to see here back.
Some Turkey Facts: the number of calls to the Butterball Turkey help line during a typical Thanksgiving period is over 200,000 and the top running speed of a turkey is almost as fast as that of a human at 25 miles per
I would like to wish everybody a Happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy the time with your families. If you are travelling please be safe.