I hope everyone brought the New Year in safely. We are looking forward to a great 2015. During Chapel Time this week the children will be learning about the Feast of the Epiphany and the Three Wise Men visiting baby Jesus. Our weekly theme is Anything Goes so look for all the different activities the teachers will be doing with the children this week.
The Author of the Month is Jan Brett. She is an American illustrator and writer of children's picture books. She is known for colorful, detailed depictions of a wide variety of animals and human cultures ranging from Scandinavia to Africa. Her best-known titles include "The Mitten", "The Hat", and "Gingerbread Baby".
The month of January is National Soup Month. During this month we will be collecting soup cans for Porch Pals, a grass-roots effort supporting needy families in our area. We will have an area in the Front Lobby where you can drop your soup cans off. Thank you as always for your support.
Over the next two weeks teachers for our preschool and pre-Kindergarten will be doing student assessments. Times for Parent Conferences will be set up for the week of January 19th. Check with your child's teacher for dates and times available. A sign-up sheet will be posted outside your child's classroom. Teachers will give you helpful information as you make decisions about your child's placement for next year.
Is your child going to go to Kindergarten next Fall? Find out about our Full-day and Extended-day Enrichment Kindergarten Programs we offer here at Leesburg Open Arms. Kindergarten Overview/Open House for interested parents will be Thursday, January 29th at 6:45 pm in the LOA Sanctuary.
LOA events for January:
- On January 15, Lego Robotics will be back at LOA to do a demonstration from 3:00 to 6:00 PM.
- On January 16, Wildlife Ambassadors will be bringing in a selection of animals to show the children.
- January 16th is also Blue Day.
- Parents Night Out - Saturday, January 17th from 4:00 to 8:30 pm.
- Loudoun County Public Schools will be closed Monday, January 19th (Martin Luther King Jr. Day). Please let your child's teacher know if your child will be in attendance.
- Lutheran Schools Week - the week of January 26th to 30th.
- Pajama Day is going to be on Wednesday, January 28th.
- Kindergarten Overview/Open House for interested parents will be Thursday, January 29th at 6:45 pm in the LOA Sanctuary.
- Sports Jersey Day will be Friday, January 30th.
Anyone interested in Zumba? In January we will be offering adults-only Zumba classes (a way to lose those extra pounds gained over the holidays.) If you are interested please stop by to see me in the Office.
It is with sadness that we need to report on the passing of Sally Betzner, the wife of Pastor Dave Betzner, who was an interim Pastor at Christ Community Lutheran Church at Leesburg Open Arms. Please keep Pastor Dave and his family in your prayers.
- Ms Neisha will become the Lead Teacher in the Hippos Class. We congratulate her on her new position.
- Ms Cara's last day with LOA will be Friday, January 9th. She will go on substitute status as she continues with her college studies.
- We welcome Ms Dottie; she will be an Afternoon Floater.
A New Year's Prayer
"May God make your year a happy one!
Not by shielding you from all sorrows and pain,
But by strengthening you to bear it, as it comes;
Not by making your path easy,
But by making you sturdy to travel any path;
Not by taking hardships from you,
But by taking fear from your heart;
Not by granting you unbroken sunshine,
But by keeping your face bright, even in the shadows;
Not by making your life always pleasant,
But by showing you when people and their causes need you most,
and by making you anxious to be there to help.
God's love, peace, hope and joy to you for the year ahead."